Notice: Report of the Supreme Court Committee on Public Access to Court Records Publication for Comment
The Supreme Court invites written comments on the Report of the Supreme Court Special Committee on Public Access to Court Records published with this notice.
The Committee, chaired by Justice Barry Albin, was asked by the Court to review the provisions of Rule 1:38, "Confidentiality of Court Records," and to recommend any changes to the rule necessary to clarify or facilitate the public's access to court records. The Committee in its report makes numerous recommendations to the Supreme Court for rule amendments and other non-rule administrative actions.
Please send any comments on the Committee’s report, proposed rule amendments, or other recommendations in writing by Monday, March 24, 2008 to:
Philip S. Carchman, P.J.A.D.
Acting Administrative Director of the Courts
Attention: Public Access Report Comments
Hughes Justice Complex; P.O. Box 037
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0037
Comments on the Committee’s report and recommendations also may be submitted by e-mail to the following address: PublicAccess.Mailbox@judiciary.state.nj.us.
The Supreme Court will not consider comments submitted anonymously. Those submitting comments by mail should include their name and address, and those submitting comments by e-mail should include their name, address, and e-mail address.
Comments submitted in response to this notice will be made public unless the author specifically requests confidentiality. In the absence of such a request, the comments, including the identity of the commenter, will be posted on the Judiciary's Internet website, updated on a periodic basis. Note that this represents a change from the usual approach of not making comments public until after Court action on the matter.
Dated: January 9, 2008
- 03/24/08 -- Middlesex County Bar Association
- 03/24/08 -- Tapas K. Sen
- 03/24/08 -- Legal Services of New Jersey
- 03/24/08 -- Factfinder Enterprises, Inc.
- 03/24/08 -- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- 03/24/08 -- New Jersey Coalition for Battered Women
- 03/24/08 -- New Jersey State Bar Association
- 03/24/08 -- James O'Brien
- 03/24/08 -- Gordon S. Graber
- 03/24/08 -- John Cesard
- 03/23/08 -- New Jersey Criminal Disposition Commission
- 03/23/08 -- Leanna Guido
- 03/22/08 -- Infoscreen, Inc.
- 03/22/08 -- Karl E. Benedikt
- 03/22/08 -- Irene Bager
- 03/22/08 -- Joseph S. Murphy, Esq.
- 03/21/08 -- Karl E. Benedikt
- 03/21/08 -- The Star Ledger
- 03/20/08 -- Avvo, Inc.
- 03/20/08 -- Dennis Brooks
- 03/20/08 -- ACLU-NJ
- 03/19/08 -- Gary D. Nissenbaum, Esq.
- 03/19/08 -- David Perry Davis, Esq.
- 03/18/08 -- Appraisal Institute, Southern NJ Chapter
- 03/17/08 -- Francis X. Dorrity, Esq.
- 03/17/08 -- Ellen Radin
- 03/16/08 -- James O'Brien
- 03/15/08 -- New Jersey Foundation for Open Government
- 03/13/08 -- The New Jersey Creditors Bar Association
- 03/11/08 -- Loraine O'Brien
- 03/10/08 -- Paul D'Ambrosio
- 02/27/08 -- Dianne R. Robinson
- 02/27/08 -- Michael Pimpinelli
- 02/27/08 -- Christina Chaffin
- 02/20/08 -- Robin Lord, Esq.
- 02/19/08 -- Daniel G. Keough
- 02/19/08 -- John V. Pavlik, PH.D
- 02/01/08 -- Carla Marras
- 01/11/08 -- John Paff