SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY
NOTICE TO THE BAR
RE: Special Civil Part Fees
With the passage of Assembly Bill 1581 and its signing by the Governor, the following changes become effective in the Special Civil Part of the Superior Court, Law Division on October 23, 2000.
- The lower amount for which the $45.00 fee is applicable has been raised from $1,000 to any amount over the small claims monetary limit (currently $2,000).
- The higher amount for which the $27.00 fee is applicable has been raised from $1,000 to the small claims monetary limit (currently $2,000).
- The fee for service by mail has been increased from $3.00 to $4.00. This includes service by mail of each summons, service by mail to the addressee only at a business or place of employment, reservice of each summons, service of process upon the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles and service of a wage execution by mail upon a federal agency by a court officer.
- The entry of an appearance in response to a complaint or third party complaint in all matters except tenancy actions and small claims shall require a $10.00 fee.
- Court officer mileage is set at $0.31 per mile for every mile of travel, in and out, incurred for serving or executing any process, writ, order, execution, notice, or warrant. Hereafter, the mileage rate shall be set at the state rate and the total mileage fee rounded upwards to the nearest whole dollar amount.
- On every dollar collected on an execution, writ of attachment, or any order a court officer shall receive $0.10.
Any questions concerning these changes should be directed to Robert D. Pitt, Chief, Special Civil Part Services at 609-292-8470.
Richard J. Williams
Administrative Director of the Courts
Dated: September 25, 2000