Morris County Superior Court Juror Reporting Information
Message From Assignment Judge Stuart A. Minkowitz
Welcome to jury duty. Jurors serve an indispensable function in civil and criminal trials. The jury system in this country is constitutionally mandated and serves to protect and promote the rights of civil litigants and criminal defendants.
Thank you for serving.
Current Reporting Message
Click here for Current Reporting Message
Note: This same reporting message is also available by calling (973) 656-4314. If the reporting message were not to be available on either the telephone or the internet, you must report to the courthouse at 8:30 a.m.
Click here to sign up to receive text alerts about court closings and delays.
For last minute court closings or delayed openings check the judiciary's website here. Information regarding closings supersedes information from text, e-mail or phone messages regarding reporting status.
Quick Links to Assist in Answering your Questions
Failure to Report
Jurors who fail to report as summoned are subject to penalties, or may be punished for contempt of court. If you have questions about your jury service call the Jury Management office at (973) 656-3908 Monday thru Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Jury Duty Hours & Term of Service
- The hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Jurors should report to the courthouse by 8:30 a.m. and plan to be here for the entire day. Juror dismissal is 4:00 p.m.
- Petit jurors serve for one day or the duration of one trial. If you are in the courtroom in the middle of the jury selection process you will serve until completion of the selection process. If you are selected to serve on a trial you will be expected to serve for the duration of the trial.
- You must call (973) 656-4314 or check the website, any time after 5:00 p.m., the evening prior to your service date to find out if you must report.
- Free parking for jurors is provided in the garage at the Headquarters Hyatt Hotel on Speedwell Avenue (Route 202 North). This is the only parking garage that is paid by the Superior Court of New Jersey in Morristown for those reporting for jury duty.
- Please bring your parking ticket with you to the Jury Office for validation.
- If you choose to park in another garage you are responsible to pay for your parking.
- Do not park your car at a meter. Jurors are not be permitted to leave the courtroom to replenish the meter and we are unable to reimburse you if you get a parking ticket.
- A one way Sheriff's shuttle bus service is available to jurors in the morning only. Pick-up is between 8:00-8:15 a.m. in front of the movie theater on Speedwell Avenue. It does not return jurors to the garage in the afternoon.
If You Are Selected As A Juror
- The trial judge will instruct you regarding the trial schedule and reporting times.
- You must wear your juror badge at all times including during lunch
Other Factors Relating to Your Juror Service
- Food and beverages are permitted in the Jury Assembly Room and wireless internet service is available. Jurors are permitted to talk on their cell phone and work remotely while in this room.
- An orientation will be provided to all jurors by the Jury Manager. The schedule for the day, the process for sending jurors to a courtroom and what to expect as a juror will be reviewed in detail.
- Petit Jurors will receive $5.00 a day for the first three days after which they will receive $40.00 a day. Checks are processed every Friday from Trenton and will be received within three weeks.
- Jurors whose service is rescheduled will receive verification from the Jury Management Office of their new report date.
- Cell phones, pagers and electronic devices must be turned off in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to read newspapers or other materials in the courtroom
- You are not permitted to bring food or beverages into the courtroom. These items will need to be stored in your brief case, purse, book bag, etc.
- All persons entering the Courthouse, including jurors, are subject to security screening. This action is taken in order to ensure everyone's safety. Purses and other carried items, such as brief cases and backpacks, will be x-rayed. The fewer metal items you carry, the faster you will pass through security.
The courthouse is a non-smoking facility. You may smoke outside the main entrance. If you do so, please inform jury staff so that we are aware of your location at all times.
N.J.S.A 2B:20-17 protects jurors from employment related retaliation and provides for the possibility of both criminal and civil sanctions.
Jury service will not affect your unemployment benefits.
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy
Please advise the Jury Management office at (973-656-3908)in advance of your report date if you require an accommodation in order to serve.