Language Services Home |

Becoming a NJ Court Interpreter in a Sign or Visual Language

September 2008

How Does One Become an Approved or Registered Court Interpreter in a Sign and Visual Language?

Both legislation and Judiciary policy require sign language interpreters to be certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) and listed with the New Jersey Division of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (800-792-8339; 609-984-7281), or the New Jersey Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (NJRID).

The AOC also requires sign language interpreters who wish to work as contract or staff court interpreters to attend the Orientation Seminar (except in those circumstances where a waiver is approved), submit proof of legal training courses from RID CEU transcripts, and register with the AOC like all other contract interpreters. Click here to get a list of seminar dates.   (Note: If you think you may be eligible to waive the seminar, please click here to read important information.)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Privacy Policy | Contact Us | © New Jersey Judiciary