Wilentz Justice Complex
The Family Court is located in the Wilentz Justice Complex, formerly known as the Gibraltar Building. The complex has three entrances, Halsey Street to the east, Washington Street to the west, and Academy Street to the north. The Family Court occupies the 1st and 9th through 14th floors. Additionally, the Child Support Enforcement Office is located on the 11th Floor and Chancery and General Equity Court Offices are located on the 8th Floor. Other state offices including the Commission for the Blind, and the Securities Bureau are also housed in the building.
ABOUT THE COURT FACILITY
- There is a no smoking policy inside the court complex. This includes corridors, restrooms and stairwells.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the public waiting areas, corridors, and courtrooms. A cafeteria with a vending area and a convenience store is located on the first floor of the complex. There are also many restaurants and delicatessens within walking distance of the court complex.
- For security purposes, upon entering the building all persons will be required to go through a metal detector and place their belongings on an x-ray machine.
- The Sheriff’s Officers have a right to search any person entering the building and confiscate controlled and dangerous substances (drugs), weapons, firearms, replicas, ammunition, chemical defense substances (mace or pepper sprays), pocket knives, and toy guns. Any person in possession of illegal items will be subject to arrest.
- Law enforcement officers on personal business must surrender weapons in the court facility.
- There is an automated cash dispensing machine (ATM) on the first floor lobby, near the Halsey Street entrance.
No glass bottles are permitted inside the building.