|Back to Atlantic / Cape May|

Vicinage I


1. What types of cases are heard in municipal court?

  • Violations of Motor Vehicle and Traffic Laws including parking tickets.
  • Violations of Disorderly and Petty Disorderly Persons Offenses.
  • Violations of Municipal Ordinances (local laws).
  • Violations of Fish and Game Laws, Parks and Forest offenses, Weights and Measures, Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Boating Regulations.

    [return to top]

2. Can I just pay the ticket?

  • If the violation is payable, you can pay at the violations bureau, by mail, or in some instances, online by credit card at NJMCdirect.com.

[return to top]

3. When is a court appearance required?

  • For criminal matters.
  • For some traffic matters that are mandatory by law such as:
    a. DWI
    b. Suspended Driver’s License
    c. The violation is not listed on the Statewide Violation Bureau Schedule
    d. Traffic matters involving personal injury.
    e. The court appearance required box has been checked on your ticket

[return to top]

4. Are there written instructions to guide me?

  • Yes, read the back of your ticket.

[return to top]

5. What will happen if I don’t pay my fine or show up in court?

  • A warrant may be issued for your arrest and/or your license or registration may be suspended.

[return to top]

6. How do I enter a plea and be scheduled for court?

  • Notify the municipal court listed on your ticket at least seven days before your scheduled court date. The court date is listed on your ticket.

[return to top]

7. Who do I call if I have a question regarding a ticket or criminal complaint?

[return to top]

8. Do I have the right to file an appeal?

  • Yes, an appeal must be filed within 20 days of the Municipal Court Judge’s decision.
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | © New Jersey Judiciary