|Atlantic/Cape Family Division| |Back to Atlantic/Cape Vicinage Main Menu|


Marriage Licenses and Civil Union Licenses

Marriage Licenses and Civil Union Licenses may be obtained from the registrar in the New Jersey municipality in which either party to the proposed marriage or civil union lives. If neither party is a resident of New Jersey, a license may be obtained in the municipality in which the proposed marriage is to be performed and municipality. Once the license is issued it is good for 30 days from the date of issuance. The fee for a marriage or civil union license is $28.00.

Marriage Waivers

Forms to waive the mandatory seventy-two hour waiting period for marriage or a civil union can be obtained in the Superior court. The completed form must be signed by the presiding judge of the family division. After it has been signed by the judge, the requesting party can use the waiver to get married or have a civil union performed.

Marriage Ceremonies

In New Jersey, any of the following individuals may solemnize or perform marriage or civil union ceremonies:

  • Judges of the following courts: United States Court of Appeals
    for the 3rd Circuit, Federal District Court, Municipal
    Court, Superior Court, Tax Court, or a judge of the Superior
    Court or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing.

  • US Magistrates, surrogates of any county, county clerks,
    mayors or deputy mayors who have been authorized by the
    mayor to solemnize a marriage or civil union, chairperson of
    any township committee or village of this state.

  • Ministers of every religion, religious societies, institutions
    and organizations may perform marriage or civil union ceremonies
    according to the rules and customs of the society,
    institution or organization.

Contact Information:

Atlantic County Civil Court House
1201 Bacharch Blvd.
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
(609) 594-3400

Cape May Court House
9 North Main Street, NJ 08210
Telephone: (609) 463-6666
Fax: (609) 463-6454

Privacy Policy | Contact Us | © New Jersey Judiciary