|Back to Atlantic / Cape May| |Back to Civil Main Menu|


Landlord/Tenant matters involve disputes between landlords and tenants over possession of rental premises. Only landlords may initiate complaints for possession in this section of the Special Civil part.

Some of the reasons that a landlord may file a complaint for possession are:

  • Failure to pay rent
  • Continued disorderly conduct
  • Willful destruction or damage to property
  • Habitual lateness in paying rent
  • Violation of rules and regulations as outlined in a
    lease or other document
  • Tenant's conviction for a drug offense

If a landlord is filing a complaint for reasons other than non-payment, he or she may be required to give written notice(s) to the tenant.

A landlord or a tenant that is a corporation must be represented by a New Jersey attorney in all matters filed in the Landlord/Tenant Section. No landlord or tenant may send a representative other than a lawyer to court.

A landlord cannot file a complaint in the Landlord/Tenant Section to collect unpaid rent. Claims to collect back rent must be filed in the regular Special Civil Part or Small Claims Section.

Helpful Resources

Printable Brochures


Where To File A Complaint:

Landlord tenant complaints must be filed in the county where the rental premises are located. The court will serve the tenants with a copy of the complaint and all parties will be notified of the trial date.

If the court grants the landlord possession of the premises, he/she must apply for a warrant of removal and the court will assign a court officer to conduct the lock-out. The court officer will place a notice on the door of the premises prior to the scheduled lock-out. After the notice is placed on the door, the tenant can go to court and file a request to stop the eviction or for additional time.

Atlantic County

The Atlantic County
Civil Courts Building
Room #:133 W

1201 Bacharach Blvd
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

Phone #: (609) 594-3356
Fax#: (609) 343-2326

Cape May County

Cape May Courthouse
Room #: 236

4 Moore Rd
Cape May Court House,
NJ 08210

Phone #: (609) 463-6522
Fax#: (609) 463-6465



Landlord/Tenant forms, additional court forms, and information are available on the Judiciary website at http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/forms.htm or can be picked up at the Civil Customer Service Office.

[return to top]



Privacy Policy | Contact Us | © New Jersey Judiciary